External Monitor with Latitude D820

Victor_Lowther at Dell.com Victor_Lowther at Dell.com
Fri Dec 1 09:24:20 CST 2006

> Using the Fn +F8 key works find in Windows for switching to
> an external monitor, but with Suse 10.2, it does nothing.
> Graphics card is Nvidia Geforce go 7300 using Nvidia drivers.
> How can I get this to work.

I do not think that using Fn + F8 to switch displays like that will work
in Linux at all, mainly due to X not handling the dynamic addition /
removal of display devices.

The following site describes the xorg.conf changes needed to make
dualhead work using TwinView on a D620 -- it should work with minor
changes on a D820 (mainly by using different modes for the builtin
monitor).
http://javier.rodriguez.org.mx/index.php/2006/09/08/xorgconf-configurati
on-for-nvidia-twinview-on-the-dell-620/

However, you will still have to restart X whenever you disconnect or
reconect your external monitor.  I do not know of a workaround for that,
sorry.

> Art

Victor Lowther
Data Analyst @ Dell, Linux Enthusiast @ Home