Flashing a dell bios with the same version using dellBiosUpdate using ubuntu 9.10 LiveCD

Jordan_Hargrave at Dell.com Jordan_Hargrave at Dell.com
Fri Jan 14 01:46:23 CST 2011

Yes, if you see the 'Updating BIOS' message then the BIOS is being updated/replaced by the provided .hdr file.   The BIOS doesn't do a version check against the new version, the version check is done in the dellBiosUpdate utility.

--jordan hargrave
Dell Enterprise Linux Engineering

From: libsmbios-devel-bounces at lists.us.dell.com [mailto:libsmbios-devel-bounces at lists.us.dell.com] On Behalf Of Jyothish Vidyadharan
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:39 PM
To: libsmbios-devel at lists.us.dell.com
Subject: Flashing a dell bios with the same version using dellBiosUpdate using ubuntu 9.10 LiveCD

Hello,

    I am using the package smbios-utils under ubuntu which I believe is related to the libsmbios package. I have a question regarding the command dellBiosUpdate and flashing BIOS using it. I have a dell inspiron E1505 system. I installed the version of smbios-utils available through the internet repos for ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 version and the flashing was done using the ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 LiveCD.

   I have already posted this question on the launchpad website and I haven't received a satisfactory answer yet. That's why I thought maybe I'd post it on this mailing list.

Below, I am pasting the text of the question I asked on launchpad about dellBiosUpdate. I hope you will be able to find the time to help me out.

Using the command dellBiosUpdate, when I try to flash the bios with a hdr file with the exactly same version as the already existing BIOS, will the flashing proceed successfully? I used the dellBiosUpdate command to do this with the switch --override-version-check. That command, when executed, informs me that the update has been successfully staged and tells me to reboot the computer to complete the bios update. Now, when I reboot, I am presented with a white screen with a message saying "Updating BIOS" (or something similar to that. I don't remember the exact wording). Then there is a noise like a fan has just been turned on inside my computer. Then the screen goes blank and then I see the BIOS booting screen. The problem is that since the version of the new BIOS to be flashed is exactly the same as the one that's already there on the computer, I'm not sure that the new BIOS hdr data has been flashed into the BIOS. I see the same version listed in the BIOS booting screen. So, I can't be sure of it either way. So, my question is, when the new BIOS to be flashed has exactly the same version as the already existing BIOS on the computer, will the BIOS be flashed by the new BIOS hdr file? Or will the old BIOS realize that the new BIOS to be flashed has exactly the same version and abort the update? I didn't see any message saying it was being aborted. Since I saw the white screen with the message that the bios was being updated, I thought that the BIOS was being flashed with the new hdr file. Now, I am not so sure of that.

Can someone please help me with this? I would like to reiterate that I gave the switch --override-version-check to the dellBiosUpdate command. I did that since the command help option informs the user that this switch allows for flashing the BIOS with a downgrade. I thought it might be needed if I am flashing with a hdr file which contains a BIOS with exactly the same version as the already existing BIOS on the computer.