Hardware correlation

Jordan_Hargrave at Dell.com Jordan_Hargrave at Dell.com
Fri Jun 23 13:11:25 CDT 2006

Bart,

  There is only one entry per physical socket in the SMBIOS table.  This doesn't change if the CPU is HT/Dual core/etc.  On a two socket system, there will only be two entries in the SMBIOS Table, while there could be: 2 (single core, no HT), 4 (dual core/no HT, single core, HT) 8 (dual core+HT) entries in /procfs depending on the processor type and configuration.

--jordan hargrave
Dell Enterprise Linux Engineering

-----Original Message-----
From: Bart C. Wise [mailto:bwise at novell.com]
Sent: Fri 6/23/2006 12:23 PM
To: Hargrave, Jordan
Cc: libsmbios-devel at lists.us.dell.com
Subject: Re: Hardware correlation

Jordan,

Thanks for your information.

It was useful in seeing how SMBIOS enumerates the processors. I do have a
question regarding the entries in the table. I have a single-processor system
with HT enabled. However, SMBIOS is only showing a single CPU (procfs shows
two processors with 2 siblings). Using your table below, it looks like I
should get an entry for each thread in a HT'd CPU.  Does each hyperthreaded
CPU have one or two entries in the SMBIOS table.? And does that change when
the user enables/disables hyperthreading in the BIOS?