[libsmbios 0.10.0-beta5] -- RE: Manipulate PropertyOwnership tag via libsmbios?

Anderson, Ian Ian.Anderson at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Sep 2 10:21:37 CDT 2005

More Beta5 notes:

The passwords also appear to be honoured as expected: if the setup password
is set it takes precedence over the system password and if the setup
password is not set, assetTagS requires the system password in order to make
changes.

Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com [mailto:Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com]
Sent: September 2, 2005 11:09 AM
To: Ian.Anderson at ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca
Cc: libsmbios-devel at lists.us.dell.com
Subject: RE: [libsmbios 0.10.0-beta5] -- RE: Manipulate PropertyOwnership
tag via libsmbios?

Ok, that is what I would expect. Thanks for sticking with it. :-)  Looks
like everything is just about ready for an official 0.10.0 release.

Background: For SMI calls, it is up to BIOS to enforce security, as
libsmbios is just a thin wrapper on top of the BIOS call in this case.
Across different platform types, BIOS chooses to enforce or not enforce this
based on that platform's marketing requirements. In general, Laptops enforce
passwords on every call. Desktops, on the other hand, sometimes enforce and
sometimes do not, depending on the value of the data.

My stance for libsmbios is that we require OS authentication and
administrative privileges. If the BIOS has no mechanism for protecting data,
then the OS authentication is the protection for that data, libsmbios will
not add arbitrary extra checks for passwords. Since libsmbios is
open-source, if I were to add arbitrary extra authentication checks, they
could be trivially bypassed by commenting them out.

I am a bit mystified that BIOS guys would choose to enforce password
protection for asset tag but not service tag. That is odd.
--
Michael