[libsmbios 0.10.0-beta5] -- RE: Manipulate PropertyOwnership tag via libsmbios?

Michael_E_Brown@Dell.com Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com
Fri Sep 2 10:09:07 CDT 2005

Ok, that is what I would expect. Thanks for sticking with it. :-)  Looks
like everything is just about ready for an official 0.10.0 release.

Background: For SMI calls, it is up to BIOS to enforce security, as
libsmbios is just a thin wrapper on top of the BIOS call in this case.
Across different platform types, BIOS chooses to enforce or not enforce
this based on that platform's marketing requirements. In general,
Laptops enforce passwords on every call. Desktops, on the other hand,
sometimes enforce and sometimes do not, depending on the value of the
data.

My stance for libsmbios is that we require OS authentication and
administrative privileges. If the BIOS has no mechanism for protecting
data, then the OS authentication is the protection for that data,
libsmbios will not add arbitrary extra checks for passwords. Since
libsmbios is open-source, if I were to add arbitrary extra
authentication checks, they could be trivially bypassed by commenting
them out.

I am a bit mystified that BIOS guys would choose to enforce password
protection for asset tag but not service tag. That is odd.
--
Michael