Precision M4500 BIOS updates

Alex Tucker alex at floop.org.uk
Tue Sep 14 11:10:55 CDT 2010

  Hi,

I'm pretty sure I've followed all the instructions on setting up yum to
update the BIOS on my Precision M4500, but it doesn't get updated on a
yum install $(bootstrap_firmware).

Looking at the firmware repositories, the BIOS files for this machine
look to be mirrored ok in
http://linux.dell.com/repo/firmware/bios-hdrs/log/M4500*, but the
corresponding RPMs don't seem to be generated.  Note that
bootstrap_firmware lists my system as system_bios(ven_0x1028_dev_0x040c).

I've tried getting the mkbiosrepo.sh script working locally to see if I
can figure things out, but haven't had much luck so far.

To date I've just installed BIOS upgrades using the biosdisk utility
(I'm currently at A04), but would like to help get the yum method
working if possible.

Cheers,
Alex.

BTW, trying to visit
http://lists.us.dell.com/mailman/listinfo/firmware-tools-devel through
Google Chrome results in a "The server's security certificate is
revoked!" message and doesn't let me get any further.