[Announce] firmware-tools, firmware-addon-dell available in Fedora (+ call for maintainers for Debian/SUSE/et al.)

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Tue Mar 20 13:36:47 CST 2007

Note: cross posted to several relevant mailing lists as this is
interesting to each.

    I am pleased to announce that both firmware-tools and firmware-addon-dell
are now an official part of the Fedora/EPEL project, with myself as the
maintainer. The first builds are available in the Extra Packages for Enterprise
Linux 4&5 (EPEL-4 & EPEL-5) repository, the Fedora Core 6 "Extras" repository,
as well as the Fedora Development repository (will become Fedora 7), so
installation of libsmbios is a "yum install" away. No additional configuration
is needed to install!

    Note that the fwupdate.com repo is still required to get actual firmware
and bios updates for Dell systems. I will be updating the docs at the various
locations in the coming days.

    More information about EPEL is here:
http://www.michaellarabel.com/index.php?k=blog&i=78. The EPEL repositories are
intended for installation on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and its
derivatives such as CentOs and Scientific Linux.

    Anybody interested in becoming a maintainer for Debian, SUSE, Mandriva, et
al, please let me know. I would really like to get these tools into the various
distributions people are using.

--
Michael Brown

personal note: I will be out of the office for the rest of this week. If I am
slow to respond to email, this is why.