DEST_MODULE_LOCATION

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 04:36:05 CST 2012

Hi Jon,

The /usr/sbin/dkms script also seems to use an undocumented
configuration variable ADDON_MODULES_DIR which AFAICT means you could
put ADDON_MODULES_DIR=/foo/bar in your dkms.conf and the modules would
be installed to /lib/modules/$kernelver/foo/bar .

Best regards,
Ian.

On 2012/02/02 10:06 AM, Jonathan Archer wrote:
> OK so I figured a way around this by modifying the OS check function to
> include a check for a new variable setting in the dkms.conf file
>
> I specify a variable called OVERRIDE_OS_CHECK in that file, if this is
> set to yes then the os check does not run. This being the section which
> overrides the destination for the compiled module.
>
> Seems to work ok...
>
> Cheers
>
> Jon
>

> On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 15:52 +0000, Jonathan Archer wrote:
>> Hi Ian
>>
>> I had thought about that, but thought if there was a way to override the
>> setting which was originally there to provide the location where the
>> module was placed, that would be a better way forward.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Jon

>>> Would a POST_INSTALL script work, maybe to install a symlink?
>>>
>>> Unfortunately there is no PRE_UNINSTALL or POST_UNINSTALL hook that
>>> could be used to remove that symlink, so you could be left with a
>>> dangling symlink on uninstall.  There is a POST_REMOVE hook though.

-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk>             )=-
-=( Tel: +44 (0)161 477 1898   FAX: +44 (0)161 718 3587              )=-