mkdeb bug - executable permissions removed

Steffen Barszus steffenbpunkt at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 22 03:07:39 CDT 2011

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 11:00:15 +0100
Ian Abbott <abbotti at mev.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is a bug or a (mis)feature, but it's bugging me!
>
> My dkms.conf has this MAKE[0] line:
>
> MAKE[0]="./configure --with-kerneldir=${kernel_source_dir} && make -C
> driver"
>
> i.e. it runs a configure script before running make.
>
> The problem is, if I make a .deb package of the sources with
>
>   dkms mkdeb --source-only -m $mymodule -v $myversion
>
> then none of the files in the .deb are executable - they all have
> permissions bits 0644.  Therefore my MAKE[0] line doesn't work.
>
> I think this bug also renders POST_ADD, POST_BUILD, etc. scripts
> impotent, so I couldn't work around the problem by adding a POST_ADD
> script to set the executable permission bits on my other scripts.
>
> The offending line that causes the problem is in
> template-dkms-mkdeb/Makefile :
>
>         chmod 644 -R "$(SRC)/$(NAME)-$(VERSION)"
>
> The dkms mkrpm doesn't suffer from the same problem; it leaves the
> permission bits intact!

This should have been fixed:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/dkms/+bug/582670

On the other hand i can see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/dkms/+bug/582666
seems also to be not there.

I did not verify this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/dkms/+bug/582668

Can someone check and explain whats going on ? I would like to stop
carrying my patches from version to version. What does Fix Committed →
Fix Released mean if it never shows up in package ?

Ian,

as already discussed i thought your issues is solved, let see :)