dkms vs later kernels

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 20 12:58:19 CDT 2010

On Monday, October 18, 2010 10:21:39 pm Matt Domsch did opine:

More experimentation, and I'll snip all the trace-like stuff from before.

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 02:50:37PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
[...]
> > Recently dkms, when launched by the /etc/init.d/mandrake_everytime
> > (pclos is largely based on mandriva) during the boot, has been
> > returning an error 5 for all attempts to build the various modules
> > which include the ati (fglrx) and nvidia (256.13.whatever is the
> > latest version) and vboxadditions (which I haven't found a use for
> > just yet)
> >
> > The error 5, when googled for, says to check the
> > /var/lib/dkms/whatever/build/make.log file for the full error.  But,,,
> > that log file doesn't exist after the failure(s). :(
> >
> > This obviously means I am stuck on the vesa driver for a moderately
> > fancy nvidia video card.  So I have basic video only.
> >
> > Recent kernel configs no longer have an option that creates the
> > /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm directory tree, even
> > if I build the drm for an ati card.
> >
> > My kernel build and install script does do a "make headers_install" so
> > the headers are there for a kernel-$VER.
> >
> > Is this something that I can fix in dkms.conf, or is it deeper than
> > that?
>
> Can you run dkms manually and see what it says then?  It may say the
> same thing, with no log file, but that would be very odd.

/usr/sbin/dkms_autoinstaller restart

fglrx (8.771-1pclos2010): Already installed on this kernel.
nvidia-current (256.53-1pclos2010): Already installed on this kernel.
vboxadditions (3.2.8-2pclos2010): Already installed on this kernel.

Now, the new part of this email, with a minor refresher:

pclos uses syntaptic, rigged for rpms as its package manager, so I have now
been twice through this loop of removing dkms completely and re-installing.
The difference between the two is that the second time, I also totally nuked
the /var/lib/dkms tree before I re-installed, that appears not to have been
properly removed in the rpm version of the removals.

The reinstall by syntaptic the second time did spend quite a bit of time
building and installing each of the selected modules involved,  and did so
without reporting any errors.  However, editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to
switch the driver to nvidia, nvidia.ko, nvidia-current (I tried them all)
all fail to load the module and exit 'no screens found'.  So I am back on
the vesa driver.

In both cases of the re-install, I was booted to 2.6.35.7, 32bit pae, smp

This did generate a make.log, which if I can get me perms, is attached.
Perhaps there is a clue, but my quick scan didn't see any failures, just
warnings.

So, whats next here?

Thanks Matt

--