DKMS inter-module dependencies

Martin Kalén martin.kalen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 15:48:16 CDT 2010

2010/5/10 Martin Kalén <martin.kalen at gmail.com>:
> Is it somehow possible to declare inter-module dependencies in DKMS to
> make sure that some modules are compiled in a pre-configured order?
>
> The background is that the non-free version of VirtualBox registers
> three modules with DKMS. It seems that these need a certain compile
> order (see comments from the VirtualBox developers [1]).
[...]
> [1] http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/5817, 2010-02-04 11:22:50 by
> frank: "[...] all three modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp)
> should be compiled using this order [...]"

For the record, this has been fixed in VirtualBox 3.2.10 (released
2010-10-08), AFAICT using the suggested method of putting all DKMS
modules into one big one.

For Christoph Mathys' reference, I interpret the silence on this list
as the general question ("is there any way to declare DKMS module
inter-dependencies") answered with no. You really have to go about and
merge all modules into one. That, or perhaps suggest a DKMS patch of
your own - with some mechanism providing a configurable/well-defined
module compile order.

Regards,
 Martin