chkconfig vs. lsb INIT INFO

Mario Limonciello mario_limonciello at dell.com
Tue Dec 8 18:07:49 CST 2009

Hi Guys:

On 09/29/2009 05:53 AM, Maxim Burgerhout wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:35, Linda A. Walsh<dell at tlinx.org>  wrote:
>
> Possible, but less convenient than the dkms_autoinstaller script,
> which is intended to rebuild modules during boot.
>

> That's what weak modules do; dkms handles this very well by just
> symlinking modules into a new kernels /lib/modules directory if
> appropriate.
>

> Yes, that is possible, but unlikely nowadays. I don't know of many
> systems, if any at all, really, that mount /usr from an NFS share.
> Anyway, if that is the situation I figure you wouldn't use
> dkms_autoinstaller. The dkms_autoinstaller script really is intended
> to do rebuilding during boot. I just think it just doesn't work like
> it is supposed to atm. The chkconfig stanza specifies it is supposed
> to start with priority S04, but it doesn't: it starts with S26. That
> is the problem I am trying to find a solution for.

With distros moving forward to replace sysvinit scripts with upstart,
i've added an upstart job into the source tree to be used instead.  Once
it's adapted for the RPM world, I think this should help a lot with
getting DKMS modules built at the right time in the boot process as
necessary.
--
Mario Limonciello
*Dell | Linux Engineering*