multiple inter-dependent drivers onto one image

Bagalkote, Sreenivas Sreenivas.Bagalkote at lsil.com
Tue Dec 13 12:09:19 CST 2005

> Hi Sreenivas,
>  As in your case A depends on B and you have one diskette, I further
> want to know if you have single makefile for A & B.

Yes, one Makefile. It is like your A & A1 case below.

>  For my case I already have A & A1  on single driver diskette ( for
SMP
> + UP kernels). A depends on A1.   *** But A & A1 have same makefile
too
> ****.
>
> As I described earlier  "A" also depends on "B" & "C".  "B" & "C"
have
> different makefiles and they are different from A's  makefile.
>
> All these interdependent drivers are available in open-source. I
wanted
> to avoid modifying there makefiles just for the purpose of having a
> single-driver-diskette.

If you don't want to modify the makefile, you could do this. You have
three
different DKMS projects A (which builds both A and A1), B and C. You can
build
the A+A1, B and C separately. They would have their own sub directories
under
/var/lib/dkms/. (/var/lib/dkms/<A | B | C>

You could have another dummy project called /var/lib/dkms/ABC. After you
build
the A, B and C modules, some shell script would copy those and populate
the
/var/lib/dkms/ABC/<ver>/... directory appropriately. Then you can have
DKMS
make a single driver diskette of ABC project.

Something similar could be done for RPM also. A.rpm, B.rpm, C.rpm could
be
embedded into ABC.rpm. ABC.rpm would install individual RPMs first and
then
collate them.