DEST_MODULE_LOCATION must start with /kernel?

Gary_Lerhaupt@Dell.com Gary_Lerhaupt at Dell.com
Thu Apr 21 22:45:37 CDT 2005

> John Lau wrote:
>
> I would like to ask if DEST_MODULE_LOCATION must start with
> /kernel? One driver I am porting to DKMS framework use
> /lib/modules/<kernel-
> version>/gm as its default path. And I asked their developer and they
> said that they put the driver there because they are external
> module and not belong to kernel source.
>
> I would like to know is it a standard that external module
> should put in the path /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/xxx but
> not in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel. And if so,
> should DKMS support installing drivers in such folders?

Yes, modules installed by DKMS must be placed in at least
/lib/modules/<kver>/kernel/.  DKMS manages the installation there
regardless if it's to replace a native kernel module or not.  This is
good because it moves out and stores any same named driver in /kernel
that it sees so that if you uninstall your DKMS, it can be put back
automatically.

Gary