Excluding a specific kernel from patch application

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Apr 18 14:45:46 CDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 11:52:25PM -0400, Richard Michael wrote:
> What is the best way to instruct DKMS to exclude a specific kernel when
> applying patches?
>
> Tonight I was dealing with a DKMS managed module from the people at the
> pptp-client project and the DKMS build was failing because of a patch my
> kernel does not require.
>
> I looked at writing a regex that would negate strings, but it seems
> regex's only handle negation matches for character classes.  What have I
> missed?  I confess I don't know regular expressions very well.. :)

There isn't a good way.

Can you change the PATCH_MATCH[] regex in your dkms.conf such that the
patch doesn't apply?

Can you split up the failing patch into multiple parts, some of which
do apply to your kernel, and some which don't, and use several
PATCH_MATCH regexps to hit or not?

DKMS could implement a PATCH_EXCLUDE[] set of regexps, along the line
of PATCH_MATCH, which it would manually negate.  But that's a good bit
of work.

Since I wrote most of the kernel_ppp_mppe DKMS-ified module, what
kernel are you running and what isn't patching cleanly? :-)  My FC3
install/upgrade last night at home went seamlessly with this.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch