Smarter way of adding alias entries to modules.conf ?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch@dell.com
Fri Nov 14 08:22:00 2003

> I know we discussed on adding a dkms.conf variable, say DEVICE_MATCH
> which will contain a *unique* string that DKMS will look for (via lspci
> or in /proc or somewhere reliable) and if it finds that and *only* if it
> finds that would it add entries to the /etc/modules.conf.

This is what Red Hat's kudzu pcitable is for; I suggest we borrow content
from that (we already do for generating the Red Hat driver disk via DKMS)
which is PCI IDs (far more valuable than lspci marketing names) to decide
if hardware is present.  Also, encourages driver writers to use
pci_device_id tables in their driver so this list of IDs is automagically
obtained from the driver itself.

Thanks,
Matt

--