issues in 1.00

John_Hull@Dell.com John_Hull@Dell.com
Thu Dec 11 11:01:01 2003

The nvidia DKMS RPM is up on the web now:

http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&Category=0&OS=LE
30&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=WRK_PNT_P4_450N&DeviceID=5214&Type=&ReleaseID=R69895

RPM and SRPM are both posted.

-----Original Message-----
From: dkms-devel-admin@lists.us.dell.com
[mailto:dkms-devel-admin@lists.us.dell.com] On Behalf Of David Kewley
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 6:50 PM
To: dkms-devel@lists.us.dell.com
Subject: Re: issues in 1.00

John_Hull@Dell.com wrote on Tuesday 09 December 2003 15:20:
> I have actually already created an Nvidia DKMS RPM for version
> 1.0-4496 for our Precision Workstations. It takes care of
> building/rebuilding the nvidia.o module, as well as laying down the X
> libraries. I should have it up on support.dell.com sometime this week
> (I'll send the link once it's up). Take a look at it and see how my
> methods compare to yours...maybe you'll have some different ideas that
> I can incorporate.

John,

That's excellent!  I assume there's nothing Dell-specific about the actual
contents of the rpm (just the Packager: tag)?  We have Precision
Workstations, but also many other Dell machines and many non-Dell machines.

I expect the rpm would simply be a very useful thing to many people around
the
world, if you released it broadly.  I would be happy to use it instead of
building my own, if it works well for me.  And if you want feedback when I
find issues, I'll be happy to provide that.

My specfile is to the point of rpmbuild -bi apparently working correctly,
plus
an untested and probably-incomplete %pre script.  I've lightly patched the
NVIDIA Makefiles and used them to do as much grunt work as possible.  (As
opposed to other [non-dkms] nvidia rpms I've seen out there that copy the
Makefiles' work into the specfile.)

I'm happy to pass any of this to you, if you're interested.  I simply want
solve the problem, and secondarily get some credit for whatever I do
provide.
I'd be happy to use your nvidia graphics dkms rpm, or work with you on it,
rather than do it all myself. :)

The point I'm at now is figuring out the best way to deal with the X libs,
considering the possibility of upgrading the XFree86* packages, and the
possibility of upgrading or uninstalling the nvidia package.  If you've
already done all this work, that's great.  It's an interesting shadow
problem
to what dkms does, and I wonder about the possibility of code reuse...

At a meeting just now, my colleages and I settled on nvidia-gfx instead of
nvgfx.  They pointed out that the "nv" namespace is already confused by
NetVault versus NVIDIA.  I don't particularly like nvidia-graphics, which
makes an already long dkms rpm name even longer.

I'm eagerly looking forward to what you have; I may shift some of my
attention
to other pressing issues in the next few days, knowing that you're about to
release your rpm.

Thanks!
David