issues in 1.00

Gary_Lerhaupt@Dell.com Gary_Lerhaupt@Dell.com
Tue Dec 9 12:05:00 2003

> 1) I downloaded and installed the dkms 1.00 rpm.  It sets the
> permissions on
> /usr/share/doc/dkms-1.00/ to 644.  It should be 755 so we can
> do an 'ls' on
> it. :)  There may be other permission issues as well; I
> haven't fully vetted
> it yet.

Fixed.  You'll see this in the next release.

> 2) I would argue that dkms should put its state files in
> /var/lib/dkms/, not
> in /var/dkms.
>   Such directories should only be added if they have some system-wide
>   implication, and in consultation with the FHS mailing list.

Though we did not consult the FHS mailing list, I believe DKMS fits the case
of "some system-wide implication".  As DKMS is used for maintaining
modules/versions across your system and across kernels, I think this is
correct.  Further, /var/lib would also not be optimal as it suggests that it
is used for system state information, while the /var/dkms tree is used
during dkms build to actually build your module.

Thanks for your feedback.  Keep it coming...

Gary