[Crowbar] Deploying Swift on 3TB Disks

Jason Venner jvenner at mirantis.com
Fri Jul 27 11:58:39 CDT 2012

Is this caused by the limit on partition sizes via fdisk style partitions?
I ran into sometime like this on my boxes that had 20T raid partitions.
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/29078/how-to-partition-22tb-disk
It was far enough back in time that I can't remember what I did to work
through the problem.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 6:04 AM, Mike Dawson <mdawson at gammacode.com> wrote:

> Thanks Greg,
>
> We're seeing the problem deploying Swift on large storage disks using
> openstack-fred3.iso. Our drive setup that failed is:
>
> /dev/sda   512GB SATA SSD
> /dev/sdb   3TB SATA
>
> We can deploy all the other OpenStack barclamps without incident.
> Further, we can deploy Swift when we replace the 3TB disks with smaller
> capacity drives.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mike Dawson
> President
> Gamma Code Corporation
> 6330 E 75th St, Suite 170
> Indianapolis, IN 46250
> Office:  317-284-8682   |   Mobile:  317-490-3018
> mdawson at gammacode.com   |   http://www.gammacode.com   |   @gammacoder
>
> On 7/25/2012 8:56 AM, Gregory_Althaus at Dell.com wrote:
> > Dieter is correct about the OS partitions.
> >
> > I think the use as storage drives is dependent currently upon the usage.
>  Hadoop use GPT-based partitions and should work.  I don't think we've
> updated the swift recipes to use GPT-based partitions, but I'm not
> completely sure.  This is part of the work to support larger the 2TB disks
> for Crowbar and its services.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Greg

Jason Venner
Senior Director, Strategic Advisory Services
Mirantis Inc