[Crowbar] Some confusion/clarification needed on crowbar

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Wed Jul 25 07:01:10 CDT 2012

Hi all,

About 30 days ago I became interested in looking at crowbar because I am an automation fanatic, everything I read about it sounded fantastic so I wanted to check it out.

I tried deploying it on virtual machines running on a VMWare ESXI server and it didn't work. (The interface wouldn't load and had some error with a goofy cartoon character on it).

Recently, I was at HostingCon in Boston and Dell DCS had a booth there, I was talking to one of those guys about Crowbar and he said it won't work unless I get proprietary barclamps from Dell. It doesn't really say anything about that in any of the installation instructions.

I am going to try and deploy it again on Physical hardware, this time it will most likely be random 11gen dell poweredge servers, should it work out of the box or will it not work because I need proprietary and non-available barclamps?

I'm just trying to get openstack running to see what it's like.

Thanks!

-Drew