[Crowbar] Cannot work on VMs.

Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com
Sun Jul 15 13:08:03 CDT 2012

Fan,

This is a known issue in Canonical's packaging due to libvirt bindings.  It has been fixed in the Fred branch and I've spun a new iso: "openstack-fred3.iso"

Rob

From: crowbar-bounces On Behalf Of JackWindows Fan
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2012 4:40 AM
To: crowbar
Subject: [Crowbar] Cannot work on VMs.

Hello. Recently I found that the newest build of crowbar(Crowbar v1.4 with openstack essex) can't work under Vmware virtual machines.
The admin node can be installed successfully. However, when the admin node is discoverying new VM nodes, the VM stuck at PXE boot, part of the error message is following:

VFS: Cannot open root device "live:/sledgehammer.iso" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.32-220.23.1.e16.x86_64 #1
Call Trace:
 [<ffffffff814ecb34>] ? panic+0x78/0x143
 .....(I omit this part)

I wonder if this only happens on Vmware, I haven't tried Vbox, and on physical servers this won't happen.
--
Fan Hongbo
@JackWindows