[Crowbar] Fred Releases (OpenStack & Cloudera) + Crowbar 2 updates - design brief Monday 7/16 @ 10 Central

Victor_Lowther at Dell.com Victor_Lowther at Dell.com
Fri Jul 13 12:38:45 CDT 2012

For reference, the following tags have been pushed to the main Crowbar repository:

v1.4-crowbar for master branch of fred
v1.3-openstack for the  openstack-os-build branch of fred, and
v2.0-hadoop for the cloudera-os-build branch of fred.

v1.3-openstack includes the repository updates to enable Nova to spin up vms when using QEMU as the hypervisor.

From: crowbar-bounces On Behalf Of Hirschfeld, Rob
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:50 PM
To: crowbar
Subject: [Crowbar] Fred Releases (OpenStack & Cloudera) + Crowbar 2 updates - design brief Monday 7/16 @ 10 Central

Crowbar community,

Today, we've officially wrapped up our work on Crowbar 1.4 (Fred) solutions Cloudera 4 Hadoop (cloudera-os-build) and OpenStack Essex (openstack-os-build)!  While we're officially moving back to focus dev on trunk, I suspect that will have patches and small items continue to flow into the Fred branch.

On the github trunk, we are now officially working on Crowbar 2.0.  That effort starts with a refactoring of the database, networking, configuration models, rails 3, and other items (details http://bit.ly/crowbar2 ).  During the refactor (next 9 weeks or so), the trunk will be unstable.  Please be advised that you should use Fred for stable builds and fixes.  I have written a lot about our plans and objectives on my blog.  Here's a summary of those posts: http://robhirschfeld.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/crowbar2-background.pdf

We would love to have you engage and help us during the refactor.  This Monday at 10am CDT, we're holding an open online brief of the refactor goals (see the refactor page).  This session will be recorded and available for later viewing.  We welcome your feedback about the design plans via our email list and skype channel (we cannot reliably monitor IRC).  We are working on a plan for weekly online briefings/discussions about the refactor and design.

NOTE: The goal of the refactor is to ENABLE features we want in Crowbar 2 not to complete them.  We want to regain stability ASAP and then go back to incrementally adding features.

We've been listening to your comments and I think Crowbar 2 will take this project to a new level of capability!

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rob

PS: There is already an pending update to Essex Fred to fix a libvirt issue from Canonical's packages.

Rob Hirschfeld
Principal Cloud Solution Architect
Dell | Cloud Edge, Data Center Solutions
blog robhirschfeld.com, twitter @zehicle
Please note, I am based in the CENTRAL (-6) time zone