[Crowbar] crowbar <service> proposal create racey / chef index not populated fast enough

Ralf Haferkamp rhafer at suse.de
Fri Jul 13 07:13:25 CDT 2012

Hi,

we recently ran into trouble when creating multiple proposals on the
command line. Doing

crowbar "mysql" proposal create default;
(in our setup is "database" instead for "mysql" but that doesn't make a
difference)
and

crowbar "keystone" proposal create default;

directly after another on the commandline the keystone proposal will not
find the mysql proposal and fallback to sqlite instead. I figured out
that this is because the chef search for mysql proposals that
KeystoneService does in create_proposal() does not return anything
because the updates to solr's search indexes that creating the "mysql"
proposal would cause, weren't committed yet. This seems to be because
chef-expander doesn't explicitly commit it's changes to solr, but relies
solr's autocommit settings, currently solr is configured to leave changes
uncommitted for at most 10 seconds, this gives a pretty big window for
failures in crowbar. And I was even able to trigger the problem by
clicking fast enough in the WebUI :).

There are different solutions to this:
- insert sleeps everywhere in script calling the crowbar cli. Or
alternatively to manual knife searches until the desired chef object show
up in the results (I would like to avoid this kind of hacks)
- lower the autocommit settings in the solr configuration to do commits
much faster
- patch chef-expander to commit updates immediatly, the patch for that is
very simple, but I don't know what negative consequence this might have
for solr, and the IO system of the admin node :)

regards,
	Ralf