[Crowbar] [SPAM] RE: Floating IPs

Gregory_Althaus at Dell.com Gregory_Althaus at Dell.com
Fri Jan 27 09:20:30 CST 2012

Nope.  Welcome to the poor openstack definition of floating ips.

You need to manually reserve the addresses that you don't want to use.

The easiest way is to just reserve them in the database with mysql commands.  You can also assign them to a vm that is a "fake" holder.

On the controller, you can get the mysql credentials to log in with mysql command.

The table is floating_ips.

There is a reserved flag, I believe.  Set that to true for the ips that you don't want to hand out.

I THINK that will work.   You will also want ot reserve the broadcast address, because it hands that one out as well.

From: crowbar-bounces On Behalf Of Chris Sanburn
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 7:57 AM
To: crowbar
Subject: [Crowbar] Floating IPs

I have a block of public IPs, x.y.z.128/25, that I want to use for my test cloud.  I used the following in my floating IP section for the network barclamp:

    "nova_floating": {
      "add_bridge": false,
      "netmask": "255.255.255.128",
      "broadcast": "x.y.z.255",
      "ranges": {
        "host": {
          "end": "x.y.z.240",
          "start": "x.y.z.210"
        }
      },
      "vlan": 300,
      "use_vlan": true,
      "subnet": "x.y.z.128",
      "conduit": "intf1"
    },

But now when I try to assign floating IPs from the dashboard it only lists x.y.z.128 to be assigned, which won't work because my first usable IP is x.y.z.129, the one I've assigned to my router. Do I have my network barclamp misconfigured or possibly have a conflict with my public IP range, which is a part of the same subnet? It's setup as:

    "public": {
      "add_bridge": false,
      "netmask": "255.255.255.128",
      "router": "x.y.z.129",