[Crowbar] [SPAM] RE: Size of your OpenStack Deployment?

Gregory_Althaus at Dell.com Gregory_Althaus at Dell.com
Tue Jan 24 08:51:46 CST 2012

Thanks Kevin.

For crowbar, the flat mode uses the network controller as a gateway.  I got tired of not having a routed/outbound path.  It also makes the code more concise because all modes use the network controller as the router (even HA modes though there are many).  I think (okay, I got more sure over time); I haven't used it in a while either.  It is a little different than Vish's document.  It is a way to implement it.

From: crowbar-bounces On Behalf Of Kevin Bringard
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:43 AM
To: crowbar
Subject: Re: [Crowbar] Size of your OpenStack Deployment?

This is only partially correct; you are correct that in Flat mode nova doesn't do anything with networking... it'll just spin up a VM and assume that you have everything setup to properly assign an IP, route to the meta-data API, etc. I believe floating IPs are still handled by the network-controller, though, but I'm not 100% sure (I've never used Flat mode).

In FlatDHCP mode the network controller is the default gateway for VMs by default (unless you pass them a different gateway via the dhcpoption=3,<gateway IP> in the dnsmasq.conf). Vms will also not get an external address automatically unless you specify --auto_assign_floating_ip=true in your nova.conf. By default it will NAT out through the network controller (and all Vms will source from the same external IP until they are assigned a floating ip).

If you're interested in a good quick overview of networking in nova, this is a great blog (written by Vishy):
http://unchainyourbrain.com/openstack/13-networking-in-nova

-- Kevin