[Crowbar] Size of your OpenStack Deployment?

Kevin Bringard kbringard at atti.com
Tue Jan 24 08:42:46 CST 2012

This is only partially correct; you are correct that in Flat mode nova
doesn't do anything with networking... it'll just spin up a VM and assume
that you have everything setup to properly assign an IP, route to the
meta-data API, etc. I believe floating IPs are still handled by the
network-controller, though, but I'm not 100% sure (I've never used Flat
mode).

In FlatDHCP mode the network controller is the default gateway for VMs by
default (unless you pass them a different gateway via the
dhcpoption=3,<gateway IP> in the dnsmasq.conf). Vms will also not get an
external address automatically unless you specify
--auto_assign_floating_ip=true in your nova.conf. By default it will NAT
out through the network controller (and all Vms will source from the same
external IP until they are assigned a floating ip).

If you're interested in a good quick overview of networking in nova, this
is a great blog (written by Vishy):
http://unchainyourbrain.com/openstack/13-networking-in-nova

-- Kevin