[Crowbar] Introduction / Cloud migration

Neil Jubinville neil at orbitalsoftware.ca
Mon Jan 16 13:16:37 CST 2012

Hello Everyone :),

My name is Neil Jubinville and I am currently running a openstack cloud
in production - (small cloud :) ),  It has been stable with no hiccups
for several months.   We are busy scaling it up now.  We provide
business SAAS with HA built into our application layers so it affords us
the ability migrate to new releases and expand without risk to client
data or continuity.

As the company owner I have decided to build our new cloud with crowbar
to standardize management and deployment.  Crowbar to me is a higher
level of abstraction and has many advantages to me replicating
successful implementations and eventually monitoring the health of my
cloud.

I have just purchased 2 new R710s to build into Diablo with Crowbar
(while waiting for Essex) , then I plan to crowbar the old cloud in one
node at a time.      My "OLD" cloud is Cactus and I need the following:

1) a migration plan.
2) a plan to protect my crowbar config/admin node   (since it is a VM on
my laptop - Virtual box)

If you were building a separate cloud in a newer release how would you
migrate the VMs/ Images from your old cloud?.

Early suggestions were to snapshot to Glance and copy them from the
images folder to the new glance.  Then instantiate them in the new cloud
(after of course replicating my projects/ networks)

I would like to know what other ideas there may be.  Is it possible to
turn an old VM image into a bootable block device? for Diablo?

Ideally I want to move to self contained bootable block devices all
self-contained with VMs only doing resource scheduling.

Looking forward to participating in this fast paced growing cloud culture!

Neil

--

      Neil Jubinville

Orbital Software Solutions Inc.