[Crowbar] Existing LVM causing Ubuntu Installer to fail.

Victor_Lowther at Dell.com Victor_Lowther at Dell.com
Fri Jan 13 14:27:22 CST 2012

It is a bug in debian-installer -- even though we set all the flags that tell it to ignore existing configuration and start from scratch, it still errors out if it finds traces of an already existing LVM setup. We zero out the first and last 2 megs of all the partitions and block devices to try and avoid hitting this error, but that does not always work if the RAID configuration changed and your RAID controller does not wipe new volumes, or if you are redeploying an admin node.

The workaround is to switch to a different VT when you get the error and zero the whole drive with

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M

-----Original Message-----
From: crowbar-bounces On Behalf Of Kieran Evans
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 2:21 PM
To: crowbar
Subject: [Crowbar] Existing LVM causing Ubuntu Installer to fail.

Hi there,

I've been trying out Crowbar/Openstack on a mix of servers (2x Dell Poweredge c6145, 2x C1100 and 2x Viglen ix4600).

One behaviour I've noticed is that fairly often is if I delete one of the Viglen nodes, then restart the machine so it gets added again, once I allocate it, the Ubuntu installer halts at a message informung me that an LVM with the same name already exists, and so cannot be created. It's the LVM named in the form dxx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx (the machines MAC). This happened on both the 1.2 and 1.3 images from crowbar.zehicle.com. I've yet to see it happen on the Dell servers.

Is there some behaviour built in to delete the LVM if it exists that's failing on the Viglen machines?

Any ideas on what the cause of this could be, i.e. is it the servers, or is it a bug in crowbar?

/Kieran