[Crowbar] Existing LVM causing Ubuntu Installer to fail.

Kieran Evans keyz182 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:20:42 CST 2012

Hi there,

I've been trying out Crowbar/Openstack on a mix of servers (2x Dell
Poweredge c6145, 2x C1100 and 2x Viglen ix4600).

One behaviour I've noticed is that fairly often is if I delete one of
the Viglen nodes, then restart the machine so it gets added again, once
I allocate it, the Ubuntu installer halts at a message informung me that
an LVM with the same name already exists, and so cannot be created. It's
the LVM named in the form dxx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx (the machines MAC). This
happened on both the 1.2 and 1.3 images from crowbar.zehicle.com. I've
yet to see it happen on the Dell servers.

Is there some behaviour built in to delete the LVM if it exists that's
failing on the Viglen machines?

Any ideas on what the cause of this could be, i.e. is it the servers, or
is it a bug in crowbar?

/Kieran