[Crowbar] Stuck on 'build' status

Chris Sanburn csanburn at redwoodit.com
Thu Jan 12 10:22:32 CST 2012

Here's the general procedure I followed while trying to launch instances:

Logged into each nova-compute node and cleaned out all the nova logs, just to make it easier on myself. Less information to dig through
	cd /var/log/nova
	rm nova*
(Note, I didn't do it, but might be helpful to clear out the logs in the nova multi controller node as well, so you can monitor those)

I then went to the Nova Dashboard, already changed my default security group to allow icmp, ssh and 3389 (3389 for the Windows instances I was testing)

In Nova Dashboard I'd then switch to System Panel -> Instances and see what host it had picked to launch the instance on.
Log into that host and monitor the nova logs.

I had 3 nova-compute nodes so if the first one got stuck at the build status I'd just leave it there and launch another instance. I'd go back to the system panel to see which of the remaining nodes received that instance and repeat my monitoring. I'd do that until I had an instance on each node. In one instance I found that only one node could bring an instance to active, the other 2 got stuck on build. I rebooted both, got all services back up and running and then found I could get them active on all 3 nodes.

I never figured out what was exactly wrong. I'd find messages in logs that suggested I make sure that virtual support was active in my CPU. I checked this when I rebooted each node and found that support was already on for both of them.

If nothing else, at least this procedure will test all of the compute nodes to see if it's isolated to just one or two.