[Crowbar] Node will not TFTP boot

deHahn, Christofer cdehahn at chiliad.com
Tue Jan 10 08:46:23 CST 2012

Hi,

I have been trying to get Crowbar working since v1.0 without success. My latest attempt is using VMware Server 2.0.2 on CentOS 5.3 x64, attempting to duplicate the Hadoop Crowbar 1.2 installation video except that I'm using the OpenStack V1.2 pre-built ISO. The end goal is to get OpenStack running in the VMware Server environment as a test platform before replacing my working OpenStack environment on real hardware to take advantage of all that Crowbar offers over OpenStack alone.

I have Crowbar installed on one VMware guest. All Crowbar networking is untouched, i.e. I did not edit the network json file. The Crowbar and Chef servers are up. I created several VMware guests. Each has the .124 and .122 host-only networks defined. I shut down the internal VMware DHCP servers. When I start the guest, it attempts to TFTP boot. It gets a response from the TFTP server (192.168.124.10), gets an IP address assigned in the .124 network range (192.168.124.21), and then times out with TFTP-E32: TFTP open timeout. It seems as if it is not picking up the boot image (Sledgehammer?). What have I done wrong? So close.

Thanks,

Chris