[Crowbar] Support for multiple Nova zones

Gregory_Althaus at Dell.com Gregory_Althaus at Dell.com
Wed Jan 4 20:05:11 CST 2012

Andi is right.  I think it is possible.  You will probably need to modify the files in the nova cookbook to make sure the options in the nova.conf file are set correctly, the scheduler is set, and chef won't kill you changes.  You would have to issue the add child command, but it should work.  I'm not sure what the dashboard shows in that case, but both zones should be able to be seen.

It might work without too much work.

Like Andi, I'm interested in seeing/hearing what you need to do to get this working.  Please take some notes and let us know. We are looking for changes/enhancements like this to go into the nova barclamp.  So, a pull request would be awesome or some notes that we can use to update the barclamp with multi-zone options.

From: crowbar-bounces On Behalf Of Abes, Andi
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 7:52 PM
To: csanburn at redwoodit.com; crowbar
Subject: Re: [Crowbar] Support for multiple Nova zones

You are right that there's no explicit support for  nova zones  - zones in nova can be used for lots of different reasons (as the page you're pointing to lists). And as opposed to swift, where zones are integral to the operation of the system, for nova they're mostly optional.

I'm curious what you're trying to achieve w/ zones in nova?

All that said and done, you could probably achieve a multi-zone nova deployment with crowbar. Crowbar allows you to deploy multiple clusters of any openstack component - you would deploy 2 independent nova clusters, and then link them in a parent-child relationship.
(http://nova.openstack.org/devref/zone.html#adding-a-child-zone)

You would need to futz with some of the configuration to add capabilities and use a zone aware scheduler..... all based on the page you referenced.
I'd be interested to hear of your experience.