[Crowbar] Errors building a Crowbar CentOS-5.7 ISO

Jord Tanner jord at terapeak.com
Tue Jan 3 18:42:59 CST 2012

> From: Victor_Lowther at Dell.com
> To: davhodg at hotmail.com; crowbar at lists.us.dell.com
> Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 07:01:52 -0600
> Subject: RE: [Crowbar] Errors building a Crowbar CentOS-5.7 ISO
>
> Yes, the upstream source we were pulling our ganglia rpm packages from vanished. We are looking at pulling in an alternate source (if we can find one -- we used this one because EPEL did not have the right version of ganglia) or rolling our own packages.

My solution has a few steps:

First, find the ganglia source RPMs with the correct version from a
Fedora mirror. This location looks sufficient:
http://mirror.its.sfu.ca/mirror/fedora/linux/releases/15/Everything/source/SRPMS/ganglia-3.1.7-3.fc15.src.rpm

Second, create your own CentOS 5.7 RPMs with rpmbuild (exact steps
left an an exercise for the reader)

Third, make the RPMs available via a http server. Location doesn't
matter, but make sure the crowbar build server has password free
access to the RPMs via HTTP.

Fourth, edit the file ~/crowbar/barclamps/ganglia/crowbar.yml and
change the lines that start with '    -
http://georgiou.fedorapeople.org' to refer to your own RPM locations.
The ganglia-debug rpm is not required. Note that the lines must start
with 4 spaces, then a dash, then a space. I learned from experience
that a tab is not permitted!

With that done you should be able to build the CentOS ISO!

You will run into other issues as well. There are some issues with
glibc versions and a few other libraries when you try and setup the
admin node. I solved this by downloading the full centos-5.7 extras
directory (http://mirror.its.sfu.ca/mirror/CentOS/5.7/extras/x86_64/RPMS/)
to /opt/dell/barclamps/crowbar/cache/centos-5.7/pkgs/updates/packages
on the admin node, then running 'install admin.crowbar.org', then
running 'yum update'. Note that there will be some dependencies that
yum can't solve and you will have to manually upgrade some RPMs using
'rpm -Uvh', then run 'yum update' again. Downloading the full extras
directory was probably overkill, but I got tired of chasing
dependencies!

HTH, YMMV.

Jord Tanner, Director of Research  |  TERAPEAK
www.terapeak.com